Professional Counseling for Emotional Healing
Because every person who attends counseling is unique, every counseling session will be different. The solutions that
help are highly customizable, within the training and abilities of the counselor. The following describes the approach
to counseling I have developed from over 20 years of experience.
I provide professional counseling for individuals and couples using a form of therapy I call Christian-Identity
Therapy (CIT). The goal of CIT is to bring your self-image into alignment with your God-given identity. Having your
self-image out of sync with your true identity can produce a significant level of discomfort. Most people cope with
this pain through distraction and numbing. But grieving and lamenting are healthier options because they communicate
any emotional pain directly to God.
CIT is an insight-oriented therapy. It helps you build awareness of your identity so you can grow into who God made
you to be. Your identity is who you are. Your self-image is who
you think or feel you are. Your identity can’t change, while your self-image changes frequently.
Life’s challenges (sin, loss, abuse, and neglect) and creation’s curse can seriously distort your self-image so that
you can no longer comprehend who you are. The resulting confusion prevents God’s people from thriving.
Learn about Christian-Identity Therapy including symptoms,
techniques, and benefits.
Learn about scheduling an appointment.
Counseling for Individuals
Adults (18 and over) meet one-on-one with your counselor (receive the attention you need).
- Insight-Oriented: Share what’s on your mind and heart, and then receive personalized feedback that speaks into
your life situation. Also called talk-therapy, this type of counseling forms the foundation for all the other
- EMDR: Eye-Movement-Desensitization-Reprocessing for trauma
recovery and assistance with processing emotions resulting from difficult life experiences.
- Spiritual Formation: You can spend time talking and relating with your counselor in session, but you can also
request to have your counselor spend extended time praying for you. You can check to see how you are connecting with
God, then share how you are doing with your counselor. Your counselor can provide focused prayer and spiritual
direction to help facilitate your relationship with Jesus.
Counseling for Relationships
- Pre-Engagement: You and the person you are dating (to determine if you should get engaged or go your separate
- Pre-Marital: You and your fiance (usually to prepare for a strong marriage, but sometimes to recognize marriage is
not the right path)
- Marriage: You and your spouse (to form a healthier and stronger bond in commitment, companionship, and intimacy,
including communication and conflict resolution)
- Relationship: You and another person in a long-term, committed relationship (to improve communication and conflict
Counseling for Groups
You and other clients who want to experience a therapeutic community facilitated by a professional. Group counseling
is an excellent way to experience a safe community to help you heal.
- You gain the perspective of others struggling with similar concerns.
- It costs less than individual counseling. Total cost is divided equally among all participants.
- It has more focus on healing than a typical Bible study.
- You benefit from the facilitation of a professional counselor.
- It simulates real-world relationships but has the safety and structure of counseling.
- Strengthen your self-worth to more closely match your God-given identity.
New groups form around the topics of Matt's books such as identity (see book list below). Currently only available if
you know of at least 4 other people interested in group therapy. To learn what groups
are available, or ask a question, contact Matt.
Counseling for Families
- Adults: You and other members of your family (to improve communication and conflict resolution)
- Children: Not currently available, but when available, your child is the primary client (please note: we require
the signature of both parents to give consent to treat minors and your child must be interested in pursuing talk
Matt's Low or No Cost Resources
Would you like to gain a head start on your counseling or move at an accelerated pace? Or maybe you can’t afford
one-on-one personalized attention at this time? I created several books and other resources to help accelerate your
- Blog - Christian Concepts
- Email Lists
Bibliotherapy is counseling which uses books to provide a structure for reaching goals. You can pursue self-help or
- Card Decks
- Interactive Games
Are you looking for a resource that I do not have yet? Tell me what you want and I might be able to create it for you.
Other Ministries and Helpful Information